Re: Fw: Paint problem

To: <info@bcmustang.com>
Subject: Re: Fw: Paint problem
From: "Tim Ronak" <timinvan@fox.nstn.ca>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 08:59:04 -0600
Chris,
All paints are opaque and this is what provides the UV screening. The reason
we put paint on apart from the cosmetic reason is to shield the stuff that
sticks to the metal. That primer stuff is not UV stable and turns into a
powder when exposed to UV. GM and Ford and Chysler all had paint peeling
problems in the 70's when they tried to put on only 2 coats on top coat to
sve materials. While they had enough film build they did not have enough
opacity in the colors that had high metalic colors and the UV was basically
reflected down to the primer, it started to crumble and then voila
...peeling paint. This can happen on any finish if it gets too thin. So
don't buff the paint too thin sport or that sun will do more than just stain
the paint. since it is tough for me to do a paint film gauge thickness test
from where I am you might want to contact a Sikkens vendor where you are
although we don't sell laquer and shops that use our products have a
lifetime gaurentee against fading and peeling provided the product is
applied in an approved way.
Does BC in BC Mustang stand for British Columbia??? because if it does I can
send you to people I know.
Bye for now,
Tim Ronak
B382000680

PS: At my earliest opportunity i am going to strip the pathetic white enamel
off my beast and put a real paint job on it.