Re: Stock Tach's and Hi tech ignitions

To: pamelam@connix.com
Subject: Re: Stock Tach's and Hi tech ignitions
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 22:12:57 -0700
At 04:21 AM 6/6/99 -0400, you wrote:

>>First, Can i install an MSD and retain the The stock Tach and points or is
>>it necessary to use an electronic pickup such as an ignitor and an
>>aftermarket Tach? Where can you hide it?
>>
>Tim:
>
>I hid a MSD unit (small one) under the footrest panel on the passenger
>side. Never got it to keep my tach from going crazy, though. I do have a
>Sun tach that was offered as an early option for higher revving engines.
>That did work with the MSD. The Sun later failed sometime after I brought
>the ignition back to stock, but i don't think it was related to the MSD use.
>
>Bob Melusky

Yes, the stock Tach will not operate effectively with an MSD or other state
of the art ignition.  I wrote the April STOA Tech Tip on this showing how
to reconfigure the input to allow the MSD input to drive the Tach.  This
trick works on all the systems I've tried it on including my Jacobs/Ford
dual unit.

Tom