Re: Tach trouble 66 Tiger

To: Mark Fridenstine <laceyf@crosslink.net>
Subject: Re: Tach trouble 66 Tiger
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 22:43:50 -0700
At 04:56 PM 6/5/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Folks: I havn't curred my guages yet, but parts are ordered, (Rick,
>Tuesday). My next problem is the tachometer. I've had it rebuilt by
>Tiger Tom. I was told to hook up the white line going into the wiring
>harness directly to the dist. side of the coil. The other white line
>goes to the switch. Well, I did and it fryed the points, ( Crashed and
>burned them), really fried them. I'm really glad I waited till after the
>Car Show this A.M. to play with the tach. Car nor tach go Now! Can you
>help again please?  Thanks in advance! Mark

The white line goes from the ignition switch to the Tach and wraps twice
around the small (1/2" x 3/16) U shaped metal piece.  This originally had a
molded plastic insulator but it is not necessary for functionality.  This U
shaped piece has a hole in the back and the legs of the U enter two small
slots on the back of the case.  A small knurled nut holds this assembly
together.  The 1/4 tab gets another wire from the ignition and the chassis
is grounded by a common ground wire typically black.  The white wire then
goes back into the loom and to the coil primary.  The current pulse from
the coil is what drives the Tach.

Tom