Re: James Barret Oil Trouble

To: "Tim Ronak" <timinvan@fox.nstn.ca>
Subject: Re: James Barret Oil Trouble
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 22:32:32 -0400
At 08:13 PM 6/12/99 -0600, you wrote:
>James,
>been there with no money and building my own pan and 2 things i found out .
>1- brazing and silver solder crack and leak later.  2- Hot oil is thinner
>than the water i would use to test my fabricated pan for my 1959 ENFO
>(English ford) Zephyr Convertable with a small block chevy. It was one of
>the more frustrating tasks that I have done.

Tim,
        Added three baffles (vertical side to side)as well as the original
horizontal baffel of the pan. Tig welded the sheet metal in.  Pulled
the old modified oil pan (sealed with epoxy no less)and found that I can
reuse the windage tray with no modifications and move the oil pickup
back to the front of the pan. ( Funny how my memory fails after I sleep
4 or 5 years.) Changing out the bearings while I am at it.  One main
was worn pretty good.  This could be from the time I lost a cam lobe
after 15K miles of running plus the zero pressure under hard braking
plus a bit of knocking.  Not counting my time and argon gas I will have
$138 invested in all new bearings, filter, oil and gaskets plus a 14 quart
oil pan with baffles.
        At my $100 per hour labor rate I will have only about $2400 invested.
Much cheaper than buying the proper oil pan to start with :-}.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others