Tigers Invade the AMAC 17th Annual Show 'n Shine

To: "'tigers@autox.team.net'" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tigers Invade the AMAC 17th Annual Show 'n Shine
From: Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 17:38:53 -0600
Well, not exactly...

Last Saturday (the 19th) the Alberta Mustang Auto Club hosted their 17th annual
show 'n shine at Franklin mall here in Calgary. The weather was perfect, so I
headed down to the mall to get a large dose of sunshine and tall tales. It
turned out that at a Mustang meet they lump anything non-Mustang into a 'Special
Interest' group; I just had to figure out if my car fit into "Stock" or
"Modified" categories. I chose Stock, since I figured anything that I could pass
off as a LAT option wouldn't count as a modification. In retrospect, I probably
should have stuck it in the Modified category, judging by the number of times I
answered the question "Is that the stock engine?" with "No, it came with a 260",
and also considering the other cars in the class, listed in the order they were
parked:

Stock:
Shelby Cobra 427 Mk IV
Ford GT40 Mk III
me
1968 T-bird luxo-barge
1958 retractable hardtop, in full working order (I cannot imagine trying to get
all of that stuff to work and not turn the roof into a pretzel)
... Another seven examples of '60s Ford iron

Modified:
Falcon convertible with a 289.
Dodge D-50 pickup with a 5.0 in it.
Western Motorsports Cobra replicar with a 5.0.

Oh yeah, there were another 85 or so Mustangs ranging from '64 coupes to '99
convertibles, with everything good, bad, and ugly inbetween.

All in all it was an enjoyable time, and I did snag fourth in class in the
people's choice voting.
Most Popular Question: "I guess it goes pretty good, eh?"
Worst Sales Pitch: "Yeah, I remember these things from when I was roadracing.
Used to go by this Tiger like he was standin' still, 'cause I had my Mini built
to like 300 psi compression, an' it would do 100 mph in first gear, and spin my
8" wide slicks going into second, yeah!" (goes on for another five minutes or
so)" ...So, anyway, I do classic car appraisal. I've done lots of cars. Here's
my card. Blah, blah, blah,...."
Best Sales Pitch: "Here's my card. I do plastic blasting." (On my judging
walkabout later I find out he's got a few demo panels set up on a table)

Next year we'll get a few more Tigers out to this thing, and show people what's
what.

Theo Smit
tsmit@novatel.ca
B382002705