RE: brake solutions/wheel spacers

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: brake solutions/wheel spacers
From: Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 10:23:20 -0600
Bill, and Listers,

There is no lugnut / wheel spacer FAQ currently on the Web that I know of, but
that doesn't mean we can't create one, especially since Tigers have some unique
'features' that make a lot of conventional advice unapplicable. Someone just has
to pick up and run with it.

My opinions (!) on lug nuts, studs, etc.:
1. Shank nuts are inferior to acorn nuts if the wheel is not hub-centric (i.e.
the hub hole on the wheel is machined such that it is a snug fit on the hub
flange).
2. Lug nuts should be torqued to spec, and so that you or whoever is driving
your car can get them off with the tools at hand. If you or another driver has
trouble with this, pack a three-foot piece of pipe with the jack and explain its
use.
3. There is no problem with using 7/16" lug studs in a competition vehicle, so
long as the studs are high quality, have good thread engagement with the
lugnuts, and are properly installed in the hubs. Exception: Drag racers that use
slicks.
4. Tightening pattern: On four-bolt wheels, "X". On five-bolt, just tighten
every other stud until you've done all five.
5. Steps to final torque: Usually I snug up the wheels by hand with the wheel
off the ground, then lower the car, and go around the tightening pattern doing a
quarter turn at a time 'till it's done. I use a wheel wrench with about a 12"
handle, and a calibrated hand. Exception: shank nuts on non-centric hubs, like
the LAT-70's. Then you have to get the wheels reasonably tight before you lower
the car, otherwise they'll slip as you tighten the nuts. Get a helper to stand
on the brakes or jam a snow brush (you all carry those, right?) between the
brake pedal and the seat as you tighten the wheel nuts.
6. Recheck your lugnuts periodically, like: whenever you take the car for a
spin, or once a week, whichever is less often.
7. Puzzle nuts: The only ones I've found that were any good at all were the
McGard brand. Their socket actually fits over the nut and you can tighten it
without stripping the nut or your knuckles. I always torque puzzle nuts last.

All usual disclaimers apply.

Theo Smit
tsmit@novatel.ca
B382002705