Re: Transmission/Differentials

To: Brian Doll <brian.doll@usa.hinz.com>
Subject: Re: Transmission/Differentials
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 20:58:21 -0400
At 10:59 AM 6/25/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Tiger owners,
>
>I have a question....
>
>Is the Transmission and Differential different for the Tigers and
>Alpines...
>
>Could I swap the Differential out of an alpine into a Tiger.. would it
>hold up
>or would it spit the teeth off of the gears.? I figure that the
>Transmission is
>different...
>
>Thanks
Brian,
        The Tiger rear is an English version of the Dana Spicer 44.
I think they call it a Salisbery rear end or something like that.
The Alpine rear is not a Spicer 44 it is a little bitty thing.  I have
an Alpine rear that blew the spider gears  in a regular Alpine.
The Transmissions are not even close.
        Note that some of the old Jeeps ( such as the postal Jeep)
have Dana 44 rears that are about an inch shorter than the Tiger
and they have 11" drum brakes.  Often the bolt pattern is 5X5 1/2.
I have one under my Alpine.  Just added Alpine spring seats and
modigied the driveshaft to match the Jeep U joint connection.
The emergency brake is a real pain to connect up on the Jeep rear.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others