Re: Travel Advisory

To: Karen L Foster <Karen.L.Foster@aero.org>
Subject: Re: Travel Advisory
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 13:07:04 -0700
Karen,

Nobody, not even MapQuest is perfect. My wife has used it for directions to
locations in the L.A. area with generally good results, occasionally
showing her better ways she never would have found on her own. MapQuest may
assume a mere concrete barrier is no real obstacle for a determined woman
driving a sport-ute. With regard to the Park boundary, my  two maps of the
area show US-191 going slightly inside the Yellowstone boundary, although
there may be no apparent consequence to the driver.

Hoping everyone has a safe and fun trip,

Bob

At 12:24 PM 6/29/99 -0700, Karen L Foster wrote:
>Bob -
>
>You don't enter Yellowstone on 191, just sort of skirt it, so there's no in
>the park traffic.  Anyway, I quizzed MapQuest about their route several
>months ago, and the reply I got was that they select the larger roads, even
>if it means going out of your way.  Their caveat was that you needed to know
>something about where you were going also.  You ought to see the directions
>they give me for getting from my house to the 118 freeway - after jogging
>through 8 streets I finally get on the freeway by going over a concrete
>divider!  Go figure.
>
>Karen

Robert L. Palmer
UCSD, Dept. of AMES