RE: Voltage regulators

To: "'STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com'"
Subject: RE: Voltage regulators
From: Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 10:20:46 -0600
Hi Stu, and Listers,

I'll comment on your comments:

I've been running my prototype regulator circuit for about a year now, and I
would guess that it's seen just about every environmental condition that it ever
will, except for maybe really high under-dash temperatures. However, the 317AT
is good to 125 degrees C, and I don't think we're going to go there. I've had to
boost the car, I've started it in -20 degrees C, I've run it with the wipers and
heater fan turning on and off, all with no apparent ill effect. While I built
that prototype without input protection, I'd do any other units with a Zener
diode across the input to protect against large spikes. The 317 is internally
protected against overheating and short-circuits on the output side.

As far as the old 1940's tech vs new 1970's technology argument goes, I can
offer only this: How long has that "new" mechanical regulator been sitting on
the shelf? What is the tolerance on the output voltage? How temperature stable
is that thing anyway? There are a lot of Tigers and Alpines out there with
"cooling" problems that are actually the regulator's fault. I agree that a
properly adjusted mechanical regulator will be as good as the electronic one,
and bombproof to boot, but today it's way easier to build an electronic
regulator than to refurbish a mechanical one by filing the points and then
tweaking that bimetallic strip.

If anyone is interested, I will rebuild your dead or questionable regulator.

Theo Smit
tsmit@home.com
tsmit@novatel.ca
B382002705