Voltage regulators

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Voltage regulators
From: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 11:38:06 -0400
     A couple comments:

     As an old analog engineer, I can tell you not to worry for one minute
     that the LM317 based panel voltage regulator would not be accurate or
     stable enough.  Consider for a moment the piece of crap it was
     replacing, which you were happy with until YOURS failed.  The LM317
     design will be far more accurate, and far more stable over temperature
     than required.

     My concern is that the transients in the car's electrical system could
     damage the regulator, unless there is some sort of protection on the
     input side.

     I just sent an Email to my friend at NSC, for his opinion.  I can't
     remember if he designed the LM317 or not, but he's in the right
     department, and messes around with cars too (old beetles).

     Another thought:  Your original panel regulator lasted from the mid
     60's until recently.  Many, like mine,  are still working fine.  Why
     wouldn't the replacement, built out of the same stuff, last just as
     long?

     Stu