Re: Classic Car Insurance

To: rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu, alcon@earthlink.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Classic Car Insurance
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 17:32:07 EDT
Bob,
  A note on your treatment when picked up.  Often the police dept. has a set
of proceedures that have to be followed in a given situation.  Around here
they are called department directives.  They fill a couple of books and are a
set of rules that must be followed.  These have been developed by the local
dept., the state and attorneys for both.  The purpose is to protect both the
citizen involved and the officer (from law suits).
 The one that I'm familiar with says a DUI suspect must be handcuffed, hands
behind his/her back and transported to a station for processing.  The vehicle
must be removed from the scene by the officer (towed) unless their is a sober
friend available or the vehicle is on private property and out of the roadway.
  There was a recent controversy around here last year when a 5 yr. old was
handcuffed when he had to be removed from school for disorderly conduct.  The
same thing happened to the 11 yr. old son of my friend this year.  Again, in
both of these cases the officer did not have a choice.
  Just thought I'd  pass on some info.  Nope, I'm not an officer.
Mark L.