gas smell

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: gas smell
From: charles paul <c1967@email.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 15:52:54 -0400 (EDT)
Hello Fellow Listers:
The latest problem with my MkI is a gas smell from the trunk.  I've only had
my Tiger for a month now, but the smell is new.  I removed both card board
panels from the sides of the trunk and discovered (lo and behold) two gas
tanks connected by a hard hose.  All clamps appear tight, the hose appears
new: any idea where the smell could be coming from??  Looking at these
hoses, it would appear that the right tank fills up, but the left could
never get completely full the way the connections look.  I would guess that
the fill tube should be higher on the right,then the left could be easily
gravity fed.  It doesn't appear that way.

As an aside, this car is terrific!!  My 67 Vette was fun, but it no way had
the acceleration, cornering, or growl that this "cat" has. It would be nice
to get it to stop better.  It already has a power booster (I think all the
Tigers had it) and new brakes.  Perhaps disc brakes in the rear?  I could
say that I should just slow down and not punch the gas so much, but this
light car and great motor are too much fun!
Scott
B9471989