Re: Chrome eyebrow (goes above egg-crate grill).

To: TigerCoupe@aol.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Chrome eyebrow (goes above egg-crate grill).
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 12:03:38 -0700
Dick,

It's my understanding that, in the proper  Britisish vernacular, the
headlight rim or "eyebrow" is called a headlight "door". I guess
"escutcheon" is just too difficult to say.

According to The Book of Norman, page 161, "A new egg-crate grill and
larger grill finisher replace the horizontal bar and center bullet of the
earlier bodies. Headlight rims became un-hooded 'Singer Gazelle MK I'
rings, most often painted the color of the car. A few original owners
report having taken delivery with these items chrome plated." I would
speculate that these were probably robbed directly out of the Gazelle parts
bin when properly painted headlight doors were not finished in time, had
been damaged, etc.

IMHO, chrome plated headlight doors, either hooded or rounded, looks tacky.
However, for both appearance and practicality, chrome plating the scuttle
vents is OK in my book (The Book of Bob)

Hope you have a nice day,

Bob

At 10:59 AM 7/31/99 -0400, TigerCoupe@aol.com wrote:
>Kurt, Mike, et al,
>
>We sometime refer to headlight rims as "eyebrows," and, as you have correctly
>pointed out, although the chromed ones were never used on Alpines or Tigers,
>they were used on other Rootes cars.  However, I don't think a headlight rim
>is the part the "Glenster" is seeking.
>
>Note that he wants a "chrome eyebrow" which is "wider than a MK I" and goes
>"above the egg-crate grill."  While I have never before heard this part
>referred to as a "chrome eyebrow," I believe what he means is the MK II upper
>grill finisher.
>
>OK Kurt.  Go back up into your 100+ degree attic and see if you can find a MK
>II upper grill finisher.  And while you're up there, look for some MK II
>wheel arch and rocker panel trim!  If you find them, I assume they also will
>be free to whomever can use them.
>
>The Dickster

Robert L. Palmer
UCSD, Dept. of AMES