Re: Mystery Machine

To: "Tim Jordan" <tjordan@wagnerprocess.com>, "tigers" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Mystery Machine
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 13:13:45 -0700
Tim, et Listers,

This car was a project carried out by fellow San Diegan Shon Sloat. He
started the project 'round about '1978. I believe this car is the one
listed under his name in The Book of Norman, B9470374. According to Norm,
there is another Tiger out there with the same JAL as this one. What I
recall about this car was it was one on the early "black dash" models. I'm
reasonably certain that it started out as a Tiger. The infamous Barry
Greenberg built the motor and may also have done the body work. I'm not
sure on the second point. The engine is either a 289 or a 302 with BOSS 302
rods and a lot of high performance work done to it. Problem is, being done
by Barry makes it of questionable - no, make that dubious - quality. The
car was first painted black after the restoration, then later turned to
Porshe red (as in the picture). Five or maybe ten years ago, Shon had the
Webbers installed. While tuning the Webbers, they guy dropped a bolt down
an intake and destroyed the motor, which he had to replace. Probably a good
thing, actually, considering who built it. I'm not sure if Shon still owns
the car or not. I think it's a pretty nice piece of work if you like this
sort of thing. But I remember thinking at the time, "Why not just buy a
Porshe?". Heck, you could even buy them from Rod Simpson with a twin-turbo
Chevy 350 installed.

TTFN, guys,

Bob

At 11:36 AM 8/2/99 -0700, Tim Jordan wrote:
>Tigers,
>
>While carousing older issues of "HOT RODDER" magazine, I came upon this
>picture.  Could this be a picture of "351C"?
>It is yet another mystery Tiger with no information as to owner or ID.
>Hey, it may even be an Alpine for all we know.
>If this is not 351C, some of us would sure like to have Jim post a few
>pictures of the real "one".  I did like the Ferrari valance and the Porsche
>fender guards and mirror.
>
>See it at http://www.wagnerprocess.com/351.htm
>
>Tim
>B9470080