RE: Jetting with an Oxygen Sensor

To: "'Steve Wickland'" <wickland@poseidontech.com>,
Subject: RE: Jetting with an Oxygen Sensor
From: Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 13:03:32 -0600
Hi Steve, and Listers,

The convention is to put the oxygen sensor at the collector in order to get an
average reading of the mixture. However, as we talked about a little at SUNI,
the temperature may not be sufficient down there for the oxygen sensor to work
well except if you're doing sustained high-output runs. I think that either a
heated oxygen sensor or else wrapping the header primaries in that header-wrap
ceramic insulation, or both, would help the oxygen sensor to work.

My other car is an '85 Corolla GT-S with the 16-valve engine; the stock oxygen
sensor location is at the base of the cast-iron exhaust manifold. For a few
years I ran the car with a header, with the oxygen sensor located at the
collector, and I found that the gas mileage dropped about 10-15% with the header
installed, presumably due to the oxygen sensor not getting hot enough to give a
proper mixture indication. I certainly didn't change my driving style 10%.

Theo Smit
tsmit@home.com
tsmit@novatel.ca
B382002705