inquiry 081399m

To: "National Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: inquiry 081399m
From: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 13:18:04 -0400

Lawrence R. Wright
Purchasing Analyst
Andrews Office Products Div. of USOP
larry.wright@usop.com (new)
Ph. 301.386.7923  Fx. 301.386.5333

I know a few of you expressed interest in the rear-axle bearing-cap-bolt
torque specs "missing" from the service manual. Fortunately, I got a
couple of answers -- and for once they didn't all contradict one
another! :^)

Barry Schonberger got back first; I never seem to get through via e-mail
but he got _right_ back to me from that voice-mail I left him this AM.
He recommends 80-90 ft.-lbs. (and I recall some purists say that more
accurately it's lb.-ft. anyway). Then I heard back from Dana; I had
found their website & e-mail through the SEMA page that someone passed
the address of along to the Tiger List a while back (that's at least
runner-up in the Most Awkwardly Constructed Sentence of the Year
contest). And they said:

> From: Zavrel, Gene [mailto:Gene.Zavrel@dana.com]
> The torque specifications for the beating cap bolts on a Dana
> 44 as found in a Sunbeam Tiger are 70 to 90 ft.-lbs. or 96 to
> 122 Newton-meters.  I am assuming that you are referring to
> the bolts going through the bearing caps over the bearings
> that hold the differential case assembly.  I know of no other
> bearing caps, so I presume that my assumption is correct.

Sounds like Barry is pickier; considering he's the one in the driver's
seat at (high) speed, maybe you'd expect that. Well, with the new torque
wrench I should be able to hit the narrower range. I'll stick to the 90
ft.-lb. as I don't think my arm is up to the 122 Newton-meters.