Re: Compression Test

To: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: Compression Test
From: Craig Wright <craig@p-d-g.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 09:59:23 -0700
Bob, interesting observation. My experience has always been higher compression
hot.

The two main reasons that compression pressures can't be calculated from
compression ratio (only estimated) are adiabatic considerations (as you pointed
out) and the camshaft timing. On most cams specs, you'll see that the intake
valve opens before TDC and closes after BDC. This means that at cranking speed,
the first part of the upward stroke is pushing air out the intake, reducing the
compression pressure. This is also why hot cams can allow a higher C/R without
detonation on pump gas. Maybe some of the guys at the SAAC meeting tomorrow
will have some ideas on the hot/cold results.

Craig