Re: Will it work?

To: Chris Vaught <CVaught@hawaii.rr.com>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Will it work?
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 20:24:24 -0700
Chris,

I have the rack in my Tiger moved back 1/2" from stock. I just measured my
rack-to-pulley clearance and it's 5/16". I have had no interference problem
with this spacing, so I think 3/8" is plenty. I believe most of us on the
List would rather see you move the engine back instead of forward, although
maybe for different reasons; e.g., handling, weight balance, radiator
clearance, etc. Also, regarding the Lakewood, or any bell housing for that
matter, one needs to be very certain that the alignment of the transmission
input shaft with the pilot bearing is accurate. Sometimes people have a lot
of grief with aftermarket bell housings that aren't accurately aligned. One
other idea to throw into the pot; don't they still sell Kevlar scatter
shields that wrap around the existing bell housing? BTW, are you using an
iron or aluminum flywheel? One other thing, how much difference does
swapping the motor mounts make in fore-to-aft position? Comparing our
numbers it looks like it's about 7/16" or 1/2". I believe you would could
find variations of +/- 1/4" or maybe even more for nominally stock
installations of the engine that result from differences in motor mounts
and frame construction.

Theo has pointed you to his experience related to the discovery that the
SPO had installed the motor mounts reversed in his car. I suggest you read
his postings on this subject carefully before committing to your present
course.

Well, TTFN,

Bob

At 02:02 PM 8/20/99 -1000, Chris Vaught wrote:
>I just finished putting the eng/trans into my Tiger with the lakewood
>shield. I ended up turning the rubber motor mounts around. It fits that way
>but the distance between the crank pulley and steering rack is ony about
>3/8". How much fwd movement should I allow for? Does for make a shorter
>crank pulley/waterpump pulley? The shield just barely touches the trans
>housing which can be adjusted in a few short minutes ( I think ). Have any
>of you tried to turn the motor mounts the way I did? Please respond!!!!!!!!!
>Thanks
>Chris

Robert L. Palmer
UCSD, Dept. of AMES