Oil Cooler Questions

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil Cooler Questions
From: "rflynn" <rflynn@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 13:12:54 +0100 (BST)
- How common is it to have a 289ci in a Tiger without an oil cooler?

- How important are oil coolers on 289ci in terms of keeping things
  cool (does it aid in minimising overheating, etc.)?

- Is anyone running an oil filter with one of those finned rings
  on it?  Do they seem to help?

I ask because I have a MKI with a transplanted 289 (6 bolt, possibly
circa 1965, possibly not) with no oil cooler installed.  The car is
a YAHT (Yet Another Hot Tiger) and I have, with great credit owing
to this list, addressed the radiator, installed an electric fan, etc.
Things seem to be noticably improved, though of course it has only
been tested on cool nights at the moment.  (After this weekend's
scheduled trip I should know much better whether I've improved
things or not.)

thanks in advance,

rick