Re: shocks

To: mjb2@home.com
Subject: Re: shocks
From: Stephen Sorenson <math1@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 23:01:48 -0700
Mike,

Tigers are prone to oversteer.  The Roger Kraus web site has a table
that shows possible corrections to oversteer.  I recommend reading that
table (at a minimum) before making suspension modifications- even those
as seemingly benign as shocks.

To greatly over-simplify, to correct for oversteer, set up the front
suspension tight and the rear suspension loose.  With this in mind, you
may not benefit from assuming that the same brand of shock should be
used on the front and rear.  Match the shock to your suspension set up.

You mentioned that you "don't mind spending bucks on a good shock".  I
have experimented with several shocks on the track over the last few
months.  I have found a correlation between cost and the quality of
materials used in the shock, but I have not found a correlation between
cost and suitability to the car.

One caveat: If performance is secondary to period correctness, disregard
the above, and call Norm for advice.

Steve Sorenson