inquiry 090199a (question)

To: "National Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: inquiry 090199a (question)
From: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 06:56:16 -0400
Just a couple of quick questions on front wheels bearings:

A) I rebuilt these a couple of times over the year, and never followed
the instructions in the service manual. I see references to a "special
distance piece"; that's 'spacer' to the rest of us. It has always seemed
to me to be an integral part of the "stub axle carrier"; that's
'spindle' to the rest of us. I guess I've been doing it all wrong by
leaving it in place? Am I risking damage to the seal when re-assembling
if I do leave it in place? Or should I remove it, and if so how; just
beat it off with a punch?

B) Any special thoughts on inserting the wheel bearing seals? I went to
tap them in, they seem awfully tight and I do not want to damage them.
So, I popped them into the freezer overnight to see if they'll shrink a
bit. Any other suggestions?

C) Why does the synthetic grease smell like cookie dough?

I'm on the Digest; any responses that are copied directly to me are very
much appreciated.

Lawrence R. Wright
Purchasing Analyst
Andrews Office Products Div. of USOP