Re: inquiry 091399z

To: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Subject: Re: inquiry 091399z
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 14:12:01 -0700
"Wright, Larry" wrote:

>         Hey, here's a thought for our rocket-scientist friends: How does
> one bleed hydraulics in space? Those air bubbles could be difficult to
> get out.

Since there is no "up", up there, the bubbles can't 'rise'.  A Forced Feed
circulation system, with a centrifugal chamber to sling the bubbles to the
outside
siphon scoop could work.  Pumping from a container is difficult, as the fluid
will
congregate in the center of the container, and won't be near the 'drain', so you
have no supply, either.  However a filled bladder, or a balloon inside the
container to force the fluid to the proper direction could work.

Best solution.  Solid Propellant brakes.  Just aim the rocket in the direction
you
are going and you slow down, or back up, pretty damn quick.  Use 'little' ones,
like in a cap pistol, and you can just 'dial it in'.

Like fluids?  Hydrogen Peroxide liquid through a platinum screen generates
plenty
of steam.  Your steam rocket will do the job.  Hey, that's 40's technology.

>         Well, at least the cars won't rust up there.

No, all the materials just 'sublimate' away and turn directly from a solid to a
gas, unless some space dust pokes a hole in it first.

Your Consulting Rocket Scientist - BTDT

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/