RE: inquiry 091399a (follow-up)

To: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Subject: RE: inquiry 091399a (follow-up)
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 22:35:47 -0400
At 02:02 PM 9/13/99 -0400, you wrote:
>       Well, you may recall I'm getting external help on that; so I'm
>not sure. I wonder if the Power-Lok came with an"axle shaft spacer", or
>should it have been pulled out of the old unit, and how does it come
>out?
>       The axle assembly, beyond the 'pumpkin', is raw; nothing
>attached to it, esp. at the ends. Exception: the inner seal that keep
>the 90-wt off the outer bearings. The left axle goes in until a solid
>"clunk" as the back of the bearing (there's a little flange on the
>shaft) hits the cup that forms the end of the axle housing. On the right
>side, when it "clunks" the entire bearing is outside of the "cup", and
>no, it doesn't push the left axle out (not at any degree of impact I'm
>willing to risk).

Larry,
        Suggest you get a wooden dowell smaller in dia than the axle
spline and stick it in the hole and measure the length to the outer flange.
compare this with the length of your axle.  This may tell you something.
A bur on the splines may be stopping your axle if the measurment indicates
there is more space available. If the length measured on the stick is the
same as the length measured on the axle, then it is dissasembly time.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others