RE: inquiry 091399a (follow-up)

To: "'Bob Palmer'" <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>,
Subject: RE: inquiry 091399a (follow-up)
From: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 14:02:02 -0400

Lawrence R. Wright
Purchasing Analyst
Andrews Office Products Div. of USOP
larry.wright@usop.com (new)
Ph. 301.386.7923  Fx. 301.386.5333

Bob Palmer replied:
> The correct position for the Dale A. rear disk brake calipers
> is forward of
> the axle. Let's see, that's 9 o'clock of the LR and 3 o'clock
> on the RR;
> unless you're under the car and then it's reversed. ;-)

        Aah. Ya know, I don't what technical difference it might make,
anyhoo. My truck's front calipers "lead", on my wife's Nissan they
"follow".  Good to know I can put them "in front", it just didn't say
that in the instructions (LOL), and the only installation I've seen was
the reverse. BTW, I wonder how the right-hand  handbrake cable is
routed;  behind or ahead of the rear axle?
        As for the brake handle, I'd love to hear what others have
experienced, but I'm tempted to "crush" the lower tip of the handle
ass'y where that clevis fits, then pry it just loose enough to allow
free travel. The two sides are basically sheet metal, and parallel; I
could make them somewhat Z-shaped to get them closer together. Gotta be
careful to clear the part in between throughout its travel. A big deal?
Perhaps not, but it's very frustrating, and I _just_ finished painting
the lever, now the paint will be damaged.

> I'm not sure what your problem is with the axle. The two
> axles are buffered
> in the center by the "axle shaft spacer", which provides a
> bearing surface
> for the two to rotate with respect to each other (the posi unit
> notwithstanding). When you push in on one axle, the other one
> should move
> out if they are both seated against the axle shaft spacer.
> Have you left
> anything off that would amount to about 3/8" on both sides?

        Well, you may recall I'm getting external help on that; so I'm
not sure. I wonder if the Power-Lok came with an"axle shaft spacer", or
should it have been pulled out of the old unit, and how does it come
out?
        The axle assembly, beyond the 'pumpkin', is raw; nothing
attached to it, esp. at the ends. Exception: the inner seal that keep
the 90-wt off the outer bearings. The left axle goes in until a solid
"clunk" as the back of the bearing (there's a little flange on the
shaft) hits the cup that forms the end of the axle housing. On the right
side, when it "clunks" the entire bearing is outside of the "cup", and
no, it doesn't push the left axle out (not at any degree of impact I'm
willing to risk).

        Thanks, Bob, for your input.