RE: L.A.T. Hood mods

To: <FHSLOTH@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: L.A.T. Hood mods
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 13:12:49 -0700
Fred,

I take it you already have this square-corner hood. If it is nicely
finished and fits well (as far as you can tell at this point) I'd
definitely keep it. An older hood also has the advantage that the resin has
pretty well stabilized and will take a good color sanding without the
matting showing through again later. (It took my hood at least a year to
get to this point.) I don't know about TT, but Kent used to make all his
hoods with square corners and left it to the user to cut the round corners
if needed. Although I've never actually done it myself, I believe it's
pretty easy for any experienced paint and body man. Or, do it yourself. Use
your round corner hood to get the correct radius and make a simple
template. (Obviously, you only need one for both sides.) I would mark the
LAT hood using the template, and cut by hand using a fine toothed saw; I
probably wouldn't use an electric saber saw for this small job, although
with the right blade it should work OK. But doing it by hand, although a
little slower, is a lot safer. Leave a little margin around the template
line and finish with a file to get the exact radius and round the edges to
match the rest of the hood. You will probably need to fill in a little bit
of the raw edge with resin or body putty.

I'd encourage you to do this job yourself, otherwise take Allan's advise.
Chris will be glad to take it off your hands and even pay the shipping.

Good luck,

Bob

At 11:35 AM 9/16/99 -0700, Allan Connell wrote:
>Fred,
>
>I would imagine it could with the right fiberglass person.  However, IMHO,
>you would probably be better off and save money if you were to sell the
>square corner hood and buy a new round corner hood from either Tiger
>Technologies or Kent Wilcox.
>
>Happy Tiger'n
>
>Allan

Robert L. Palmer