Re: Brakes

To: Allan Connell <alcon@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Brakes
From: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 15:24:27 -0400
Chris, let me give you another view to DOT 5 "Silicone" brake fluid.

DOT 5 will not harm your paint, and doesn't absorb water, like DOT 3 or 4.

DOT 4 Must be bleed out of the entire system, before using DOT 5 or you
will get soft spongy brakes.

DOT 5 will let water in the system, and then because it is heavier than
DOT 5 it will go to the low points, which could be the brake lines,
which if are old, and no longer have a protective coating will rust from
the inside.  Looks great on the outside, but.

DOT 5 fluid is not used in racing cars, even though it has good heat properties.

I used DOT 5 once in a Vette, and did not know this and had soft brakes,
even though I bleed the brakes repeatedly.

Brake bleeding is not that hard, and can be done by one person. There
are 2 systems that work great for bleeding yourself.

E-Z Bleed uses low pressure, tire pressure at 5-15 lb., with a resiovor
of fluid, and pressurizes the system through the master cylinder.  You
open the bleed valve at each wheel and you are finished.  One of my cars
requires bleeding 1/yr and it takes me 30 minutes.  Most of the time
jacking up the wheel and taking off the tire.

There is a another system that is sold by several people, which uses a
spring loaded ball at the bleeder fitting, and you pump the brakes, and
the ball prevents air from coming into the system.

Brake Fluid is cheap, and with a little experience bleeding the lines
takes no more time than changing the oil.

Larry