RE: Hurricanes and Polish & speedometer

To: Chris Thompson <cthompson@rrinc.com>
Subject: RE: Hurricanes and Polish & speedometer
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 18:11:46 -0400
At 06:35 PM 9/18/99 -0400, you wrote:
....  I installed the innards and face only, set the pointer to zero for the
first time in a long time, and headed out.  It immediately jumped clockwise
around to the post and hung there.  Took the pointer off, and the hub pin
just spins nicely unimpeded by any speedometer control mechanism.

        The magnet is hitting the aluminum cup due to wear on the shaft.  It
is possible to
press the bracket back,(forward) that locates the shaft.  This is hard to do
as you need to move
it only a couple thousands of an inch.  If your pin is spinning then you
have wiped out the main spring
and there is no hope.

....  It's the *only* thing on the Tiger not perfect (except an occasional
back-fire on rapid deceleration), and it's really starting to get to me.

        Sounds like your timing is advanced too much.  Either it is static
timing, or the vacuum
advance is broken inside and allowing too much advance during decelleration
( ie. periods of
maximum vacuum.)  My vacuum advance had a similar problem, a little pot
metal tab inside broke off
and I was backfiring during deceleration or on high speed light load.
Replace the vacuum advance
first.

>Anybody out there with a working speedo for sale?

JC whitney has speedometers for $87, 0 to 120 Mph.  The speedometer will fit
within the case
of the Tiger speedometer when the glass is removed.  Leave the Tiger Bezel
on.  Attach the
JC speedometer to the Tiger case with a single screw.  Works like a champ
and doesn't look
too out of place.  However it is not original.  Now if one were to attach
the Tiger dial
and needle to the JC speedometer and remove the JC case....
        This speedometer has the 5/8" US fitting on the back.  Odometer and
trip meter is
included, however you reset the trip meter from a knob through the glass
(plastic?).
JC speedometer is set for 1000 RPM per 60 MPH.