RE: inquiry 092299a

To: "'Bob Palmer'" <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>,
Subject: RE: inquiry 092299a
From: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 14:48:39 -0400
        Bob Palmer wrote:
> I think the key to proving that the two axle shafts are
> interdependent is the statement from the Shop Manual:
 (SNIP)
> Also, I guess the assumption in putting equal shims on
>both sides is that the axles and housing have the same
>relative lengths on both sides. I guess you could check this
>if you aren't sure.

        Bob, thanks for the thoroughly thought out response. I guess
what I getting at is that there is one end-float "gap", and it can exist
at one end of the assembly at a time. If you're wiggling the left end
clunk-to-clunk, the right one is at zero end float, because one of the
clunks is the left shaft bottoming against the right shaft which is
bottoming out against the right outboard bearing race. BTW, I'll go out
on a limb and assume that the "keep it centered" rule isn't exact, as
the shims I took out had 30/K more on the left than the right. I don't
know about the shaft length, I checked them out down to the fraction of
an inch or so, I'd have to build a jig or something if I want to go down
to the thousandth.

> I have wondered what the criteria are for arriving
>at the .006-.008" specification. (SNIP) However, with
>disk brakes, end float adds to the free pedal you have
>so you have a good reason to keep the end float to a
>minimum.

        Yeah, I was wondering that. OK, I'll accept that the shafts will
expand at a faster rate than the outer housing. And yes, I was hoping to
end up at the lowest workable figure due to the disc brakes.

> I assume you are making metal shims that essentially
>don't compress. (SNIP) However, as you suggest, a
>gasket sealer like Permatex will surely increase the thickness
>somewhat. I think I'd be inclined to shoot for .003-.004"
>end float before you add the Permatex or whatever.
>(SNIP) Maybe you should consider using a lower viscosity
>sealer; perhaps use Loctite 601 adhesive/sealant (red bottle).
>It shouldn't take much to get a good seal in this circumstance.

        The shims are brass; easy to cut, material was available, I
wasn't worried about compression or the fiber gaskets wouldn't have been
in there, and I dismissed dissimilar-metals issues. I was actually
thinking of shooting for four 1/K's if I could arrange for it. I'll try
to find the Loctite 601 if I can; I like the idea of a sealant with a
higher Coefficient of Squish (cs) to keep thickness-creep to a minimum.
I guess that I'll still be putting Permatex/Loctite/whatever between
every two surfaces, even though it looked like Rootes didn't?

Lawrence R. Wright, Purchasing Analyst
U S Office Products, Mid-Atlantic Division
Formerly Andrews Office Products
larry.wright@usop.com (new)
Ph. 301.386.7923  Fx. 301.386.5333