RE: inquiry 092299a

To: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>,
Subject: RE: inquiry 092299a
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 12:46:58 -0700
At 02:48 PM 9/22/99 -0400, Wright, Larry wrote:
>         Bob Palmer wrote:
> > I think the key to proving that the two axle shafts are
> > interdependent is the statement from the Shop Manual:
>  (SNIP)
> > Also, I guess the assumption in putting equal shims on
> >both sides is that the axles and housing have the same
> >relative lengths on both sides. I guess you could check this
> >if you aren't sure.
>
>         Bob, thanks for the thoroughly thought out response. I guess
>what I getting at is that there is one end-float "gap", and it can exist
>at one end of the assembly at a time. If you're wiggling the left end
>clunk-to-clunk, the right one is at zero end float, because one of the
>clunks is the left shaft bottoming against the right shaft which is
>bottoming out against the right outboard bearing race. BTW, I'll go out
>on a limb and assume that the "keep it centered" rule isn't exact, as
>the shims I took out had 30/K more on the left than the right. I don't
>know about the shaft length, I checked them out down to the fraction of
>an inch or so, I'd have to build a jig or something if I want to go down
>to the thousandth.

Not having done this myself, I'm not sure of the best way to proceed to
guarantee having the axle shaft spacer in the middle. But, it involves both
the axle and the housing; e.g., if both the axle and the housing are 1"
shorter on one side, it still comes out the same. While I'm not really sure
that centering is necessary, one way to do this might be to push the spacer
all the way toward, say, the left side and measure the gap on that side,
then repeat it for the other side and compare the gaps. I'd guess the DPO's
reason for having .030" more on one side was he was just too lazy to
disassemble the other side. However, his laziness has the salutary effect
of proving that the adjustment is not all that critical.

I believe you understand correctly about the end float being the TOTAL for
the two axles. The proof will be when you add shims on both sides and see
that the end float is reduced by the sum of the shim thicknesses.

snip, snip, snip, . . .

>Lawrence R. Wright, Purchasing Analyst
>U S Office Products, Mid-Atlantic Division
>Formerly Andrews Office Products
>larry.wright@usop.com (new)
>Ph. 301.386.7923  Fx. 301.386.5333

Brgds,