Sunbeam Sighted!

To: Alpines List <alpines@autox.team.net>, Tigers List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sunbeam Sighted!
From: steve sage <rootes@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 18:19:53 -0700
Hello Gang:
Not directly Tiger or Alpine related, but an amazing Sunbeam Rapier
sighting nonetheless. Jane and I watched the TNT (cable network) show
"Animal Farm" (TV version of the George Orwell book) and it was very
well done. Recommended for anyone into politics to watch.

Now to the Rootes Group. The last five minutes or so of the show may as
well be a factory ad for the Sunbeam Rapier as the camera follows a
beautiful, mint Rapier convertible, with the top down, driving down the
road, with interior and dashboard shots spliced in, and a family of four
comfortably enjoying the drive. They showed the dash first and the
Jaeger guages gave it away right up, then the Rootes headlamp covers
that we could use on any of our cars (except MKIIs, of course). Perfect
dash and guages (including a proper clock...although I couldn't tell if
it was working or not!) with the white needles instead of our red
needles and what seemed like an original radio. The car is white with
chrome wire wheels, a brown/maroon interior with white piping around the
seats, and right hand drive. They showed front ,back and side views of
the car too and everything looked perfect (fog lamps on the front, by
the way). I taped the part of the show with the car in it and the front
license plate numbers are clearly visable. The show was shot in Ireland
so I guess it belongs to someone there. Being a Rootes nut, I've watched
it (the Rapier) in slow motion several times and get a kick out of it
every time I look. Doesn't take much to get me excited, I guess.

Anyway, well worth a look at the show, and the Rapier, if you can. I'm
sure they'll replay it.

Steve Sage