Re: carbs

To: MWood24020@aol.com, CVaught@hawaii.rr.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: carbs
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 1999 12:36:42 -0700
Mike,

As always, a very knowledgeable post Mike. One thing occurs to me reading
this though. What about GEARS!! Certainly for dedicated autocrossing one
would want high numerical ratio gears to take advantage of the best
horsepower range of the motor. This would probably be as low, or even lower
than 1/4 mi drag gears since (unfortunately) you probably never get close
to 100 mph in an autocross. For a dedicated 1/4 mi racer, depending on the
engine's peak HP rpm, you need something in the range of 3.75 - 4.0 gears.
Chris also has very little chance for 100+ mph in Hawaii. Seems like 3.54s
would be about right in his case. Why build a motor to produce 300+ HP and
then gear it so you can't use it?? When Chris comes back to the mainland,
he can switch back to some taller gears for freeway and high-speed use.
Don't you agree?

TTFN,

Bob

At 02:54 PM 10/9/99 -0400, MWood24020@aol.com wrote:

>Chris-
>While I blew it with my wild guess regarding the Motorcraft/Holley, I do have
>some experience with running the 1850. On my 302 SVO motor, the 600 was a
>little fat down low out of the box, but worked ok when jetted down a couple
>of sizes. As the car was used extensively for autocrossing, I finally went
>down to a 465cfm Holley for sharp low end response, at the expense of
>ultimate top end which was not a concern on the courses I ran.
>In a car as light as the Tiger, a mechanical secondary carb would work well,
>particularly if you have the room to take advantage of the top end HP
>increases. However, in Hawaii, there isn't that many places to really let
>loose and you might be happier with a smaller, vacumn secondary carb. (unless
>you plan on making the Saturday night grudge races at Hawaii Raceway Park!)
>I wouldn't splurge for the double pumper until the 1850 was proved
>inadequate. 600cfm is plenty for a small Windsor and vacumn secondaries are
>more friendly around town.
>Mike

Robert L. Palmer
UCSD, Dept. of AMES