Carb Adjustment

To: "Steve Laifman" <laifman@flash.net>
Subject: Carb Adjustment
From: "Daniel S. Eiland" <daniel@htg.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 17:47:39 -0600
Steve,
    Went back and went over everything in the Holley book. Then removed the
carb, closed the secondary and adjusted the floats with the engine running.
Adjusted the idle mixture screws and the engine timing then took her out for
a test drive. Still lacks power off the line, but once the car gets going it
is like you said in your last email, it's very responsive yet smooth and
more power than I have ever had. No longer getting that feeling like the
secondary kicked in. Upon returning I went to put the filter on and the car
wants to stall. Put my old Edlebrock triangular filter back on and it runs.
Car is hard to start though. Right now everything is set according to the
Holley book I have. I think I located the problem. When I was checking the
engine I noticed some oil around the distributor at the block. Can't get the
engine to duplicate the leak while in the shop. Cleaned the mess up and took
the car out for a drive. The car is sluggish at start but once moving it
runs real strong and doesn't let up. Brought the car home and shut the
engine off. Opened the hood and sure enough I have oil around the
distributor again. Went to start the car again and it wants to crank a while
before it starts and then I have to give it just a tiny bit of gas to get
the rpm up there before it wants to hold it's own. Seems to me I blew the
front gasket to the intake manifold. I don't know how this would effect the
carb settings.
Dan