inquiry 102199b (20.75)

To: "National Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: inquiry 102199b (20.75)
From: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 07:39:48 -0400
"underneath", installment 20-3/4

        I still don't know what to do with either the fuel pump or
differential leaks, but I thought it best to have a backup plan. Last
night we placed an order with Sunbeam Specialties.
        First, I have a new pinion seal on the way, an air-freight (!)
order for Friday. I'm guessing that there won't be a way to get the
existing one to stop leaking (although I'd be very interested in any
ideas!!!), so perhaps the alternative is to install a new one.
        That raises more questions. Primarily, how to get the old one
out, and can it be done with the diff installed in the car? Any caveats
about whatever is _behind_ the seal, and avoiding damaging any of it
while pulling the seal? Any tricks to popping the new one in? I was
thinking of sticking the new one in the freezer overnight to get it to
shrink a bit, that has helped on other parts before. How about a smear
of Permatex around the rim? And is this seal the primary, or even only,
item keeping the oil in or are there other seals/gaskets I should be
looking at?
        The fuel pump issue is a bit stickier. Apparently there is no
"rebuild kit" that would enable replacing just the leaking gaskets; the
recommendation was to pick up some gasket material from a hardware store
and _make_ one. Ick! Especially those little ones that go behind the
double-male threaded fitting where the fuel lines attach.
        Sorry again for all of the questions; TIA for any feedback.

Lawrence R. Wright, Purchasing Analyst
U S Office Products, Mid-Atlantic District
Formerly Andrews Office Products
larry.wright@usop.com (new)
Ph. 301.386.7923  Fx. 301.386.5333