Re: inquiry 102199b (20.75)

To: "National Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: inquiry 102199b (20.75)
From: "Jim Morrison" <jpmorrison@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 08:14:21 -0400
Larry,

I just finished this same replacement.  Two tricks I would recommend.  I
used a heavy chain with one end bolted to the pinion flange and the other
wrapped around/bolted to the frame or suspension.  All this is to keep the
pinion from turning while undoing the nut on the pinion.  The other is to
heat the pinion nut.  Mine would not come off until heated.  Remember to
torque it properly upon re-installation.  Taking the old seal out is fairly
straightforward.  Stick a screwdriver/punch or some other stiff metal object
into the hole and pry it out.  Nothing inside to worry about except where
the seal itself mounts.  I used a little sealer around the new seal for good
measure.

Jim Morrison