Re: inquiry 102899c

To: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Subject: Re: inquiry 102899c
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 08:43:39 -0700
"Wright, Larry" wrote:

>         You've probably been in an old Mustang at least twenty years
> more recently than I have. A friend had one when I was in college, and
> it had (?!?!) a bench seat; that would suggest that the han... er,
> emerg.... er, parking brake was a domestic-style foot pedal, making it
> even harder to describe as a handbrake -- but I really don't remember.
>
> Lawrence R. Wright,

Larry,

I sold the GT Convertible (rust free, with air conditioning, power disc brakes,
power steering, 289 with Edelbrock Performer manifold and carb) after owning it
for about 17 years, about 2 years ago.  I was advised it was cheaper to sell my
car and buy one that had already been restored.  After I had the cash in my
hand,
it occurred to me that I really didn't have to buy another Mustang.  so I bought
the Tiger.  Couldn't have been happier getting back into a real sports car.

The "parking brake" was a ratchet "L" handle under the left side of the
dashboard.  Small grip, left hand pull, not much leverage.

Even the newer "pedal" types are "ratcheting".  If you stood on it, it just
might
lock your brakes up and lose whatever control or stopping power it might have
had
if it were like the fly-off Sports Car tradition.  So it's probably actually
dangerous to try to stop with it.

Steve,

( in 1950 I once almost slid backwards down a huge street hill in L.A. when I
was
stopped at the top by the intersection light, and didn't have enough feet to get
the accelerator feathered with the clutch and start up while stopped on a hill.
The "Emergency Brake" was just one hand too many to try to get it moving.  I
think
I'm probably still stuck at that intersection trying to figure out how to get
moving.)

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/