Re: Temperature drop across a rad

To: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>
Subject: Re: Temperature drop across a rad
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 1999 09:32:57 -0800

"Ronak, TP (Timothy)" wrote:

> Theo and Listers,
> The image read surface temperature and as I recall just needed an
> unobstructed view of the surface. Easily done from the front as he was able
> to do a wide angle or do a multiple image pass really close with the camera
> and have us just watch the video. ...............

Just to add another log to the woodpile, we have used I-R sensors on our rockets
for some time.  It was fairly easy on the static testing on the ground.  When we
needed thermal imaging in flight, however, the situation was a bit more
difficult.  The tracking camera approach was of limited benefit, as the field of
view was so large that only the plume was read.  We developed miniature I-R
cameras and mounted them in critical locations to view areas of concern.  The
output was digitized and transmitted over our telemetry.  Worked fine, and was
correlated with ground test observations of the same region for differences.
There are plenty, when recirculaiton in flight occurs.  Which is why you want to
do this on your car, while it is moving.

The same techniques can be used, with I-R miniature video cameras, available for
about $100 in our surveillance or electronics stores, and a battery operated
VCR.
Multiple split screen devices are used for the surveillance devices, and can be
used here to give simultaneous split screen readings from different locations,
or
sequential camera switching..  The cameras are about a 2"x2"x1 1/2"  cube after
being mounted in a box with attach mounts.  The cameras themselves are about 1"
square circuit boards with a 1/2 inch lens attached. 12 vdc powered.  Can also
be
used for your front door, and no light is needed as LED's are surrounding some
models to provide their own invisible light source.  Great for knowing who's
knocking, or if your last name is Bond.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/