Re: tiger evaluations mfg. numbers

To: <Camsales@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: tiger evaluations mfg. numbers
From: "Chris Hill" <Pirouette@uisreno.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 04:47:26 -0400
Jim,
     Tired hinges on the drivers side in a 35 year old car would be expected
and not unusual in a Tiger.  The fix was discussed on the list last month
and can be tricky , but is not a difficult job.  But check for sag on BOTH
doors!  A severely rusted structure would also not be unexpected in your
part of the country and I have a Tiger that is an example that this can be
invisible until the car begins to literally sag in the middle.
     The rocker panels on a Tiger are a major component of longitudinal
rigidity.  They are a three layer construction;  you can see the outer layer
of course and the inner (underneath the car), but the middle piece is the
heaviest and can't be seen.  It is unpainted and very vulnerable to
incursion of water and dirt, which is common because the seal between the
fender and the inner fender at the back of the front wheel well had a sealer
that soon turned brittle and fell out.  The mid-rocker can get quite rotten
before the outer one starts bubbling or breaking through.  The car starts to
sag in the middle gradually as it loses this strength and the only outer
indication of this is that the doors start to pinch slightly at the top
although the car may look fine otherwise!  And that kind of rust is a MAJOR
fix!!   It's also possible for this to happen on only one side if the seal
held on the other.
     This is ONE reason why getting someone Tiger-wise to look at the car
with you is a better than good idea.   Look in the front wheel well and see
if the seam is solid, check for the slightest irregularity in the outer (or
inner) rocker.  This sounds like a well cared for car, but it also seems to
have been repainted.  Very common for problems on the outer rocker to be
smoothed over on a repaint without dealing with the middle with the result
noted above.  Several owners can go by and the car still looks fine, when
the doors progress from chipping a little at the top to binding slightly
and.......etc.
     It's not just the Tiger, any car 20-40 years old has things to watch
out for.  Make use of the fraternity of the Tiger community, and you won't
be sorry!

                                                    Chris Hill