Re: front clip

To: "Dennis R Clark" <d-clark@pacbell.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: front clip
From: "Chris Hill" <Pirouette@uisreno.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 18:14:39 -0400
Dennis,
     I have a Tiger that was clipped in front.  It was actually clipped
across the front fenders about 1/3 of the way forward from the diagonal
factory seam at the back of the hood opening.  The inner fenders were
clipped just forward of the 4-way brake junction mounting hole (r.s.) and
just forward of the front (welded) mounting bracket for the overflow tank
(l.s.).  The frame rails, though splayed pretty badly forward of the
crossmember were straightened and reattached to the new  (old) sheet metal.
     I don't know why the car wasn't clipped at the seams, but doing it this
way preserved all of the engine compartment stuff that is Tiger and also
means that I only have to drill holes for the foremost stainless section ,
as the clip lines are just in front of the three holes for the Tiger script
on the fenders (this is not something I'm looking forward to, as a small
mistake here will REALLY show!).
     I describe this to show that there are a number of ways to approach the
clip, but alot of course depends on what you're starting with.  Of more
import, is my experience with frame shops.  The clip was done before I got
the car, which is unfortunate because even though a good shop was doing it,
it was a cut corners job.  They farmed out the frame work to a trade
customer, the proverbial little old guy who'd been doing it for thirty years
(laser?  No boy, I ain't laser, I work real hard with these chains and
plumbbobs!).  Once I obtained the car, it was quickly apparent that things
weren't right (visually, the alignment was probably fine).  A two hour round
trip tow to the same guy   (gas, dolly rental, his fee = $350) made it worse
if anything.  I did alot of work on the car HOPING that something could be
done and eventually was referred to the local 'artist' who had a hotshot
laser setup and experience to match.
     He did the best he could, but understand that the clip was put on and
welded everywhere on oldstyle 'ballpark' specs.  This is my particular
caution to you.  I don't know if you're clipping for accident or rustbucket
reasons, but especially if the former -- do your homework and then spend the
money!!
     An oldline west coast Tiger owner had an experience similar to mine.
The car works!, alignment is perfect, but.....Expensive bodywork and paint
can be a heartbreak when even an untrained eye can pick out nonconformities.
'Artist' was not a metaphor, but a label.  Find out who in your area has the
'touch' and the latest hightech equipment to put it to use.  You will get
what you pay for, and anything less you will be very sorry for in the long
run!!

                                                    Chris Hill