Autotrans and fuel pump

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Autotrans and fuel pump
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 21:39:16 -0500
Folks,
        Been out of town for a month. The day before I left I
finally took my 351C Tiger II with the C4 auto conversion out
for a test run.  Automatic works fine,  however, I got stuck on
the side of the road when my Holly Red pump stopped.  After
it cooled a bit I made it home and then went to catch an airplane
to California.  I returned for this week and checked out the
pump.  90 day warrenty, 6 months old.  I took the motor apart
and found that one of the motor magnets had come loose from the
case.  The armature was rubbing on the loose magnet.  The magnets
are only glued in.  I replaced the housing/magnets with an older
Holly Red that had lasted for 6 years before it started leaking.
In the previous case the shaft of the motor wore out at the seal
area.
        General info:  The windings read 2 ohms each.
You must pull the armature out of the pump assy to be able to
reinstall the brush assy as there is no way to hold the brushes
back.  After reinstalling the brush assy, then slip the armature
 through the housing/magnets.  Hold tight as the magnets will try to
pull the armature out of the brushes until you get the armature
completely in.  Now slip the armature shaft into the pump assy
and line up the notches in the housing  with the tabs in the pump
assy.  Re do the two bolts/nuts and you are done.
        Will be back in California for another 3 weeks starting
next monday.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others