Re: Wiper Motor

To: RayKReese@aol.com, Tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wiper Motor
From: Carmods@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 10:04:51 EST
In a message dated 11/22/99 3:36:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
RayKReese@aol.com writes:

<< Lister's: My wiper motor has stopped wiping. Anyone repaired one of these
 lately? >>

Hi Ray,
I recently repaired a wiper motor that didn't work and here is what I found.
The main problem was that the grease in the gear box and in the flexible
shaft housings had hardened to a point the motor couldn't turn. With the unit
removed from the car, it was just a job of pulling the flexible drive cables
and disassembling the gear box so they could be cleaned and greased.
Disassemble the motor and clean the brushes and armature and oil the
bearings. If the brushes are worn they must be replaced. At this point you
can check the armature and field coils for continuity. I believe this motor
has holes in the brush holders where you can put wires to hold the brushes
while you are assembling the motor. Don't forget to pull them out when you
are done. It is important to mark the cover that holds the ground points
before you take it off so that you get it back together right. That cover
should be set for maximum travel.
                                       John Logan