RE: Trans mount

To: "'Chris Vaught'" <cvaught@hawaii.rr.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Trans mount
From: City Of Antioch <billgegg@ci.antioch.ca.us>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 08:05:31 -0800
Deja vu-  I spent Sunday morning putting the engine back into my Tiger,
along with the headers and many thanks to the Listers who responded with
advice.  The key to putting the engine and headers back in, is to have
everything loose.

I put the engine in, with half the headers on tight.  And tried to put the
other half of the headers on.  No Go.  And I hadn't even gotten to the motor
mount.  So I loosened up the installed headers and was able to get the other
half of the headers in place.  At this point, the headers are in place, but
very loosely held on.  I then slid the motor mounts up from the bottom,
through the headers and loosely connected the motor mounts to the engine.  I
am talking both halves of the motor mount as there is a part that bolts to
the engine and another part that bolts to the frame.  Then I bolted the
motor mount to the frame( (3) 3inch  bolts per side).  Remember everything
is still loose.  You can tighten up the frame to motor mounts bolts at this
time.  IF you tighten up the other bolts before tightening up these (3)
frame to motor mount bolts, it is almost impossible to get everything lined
up and I can guarantee that you strip a thread or two.

Then tighten up the motor mounts bolts and lastly, the header bolts.  I
replaced all of my header bolts with Allen head bolts and it was easier
tightening up the headers this time.  Nothing on the Tiger engine is easy.

One lister said that once he got the headers in place, he then took them out
so that they could be hot coated.  I was so thrilled to get the damn things
in, I called it a day.  I did have to ding a couple of the primary tubes on
the headers and do a little motor mount grinding.  But did not have to grind
any frame as one Lister had to.

I crawled underneath and sprayed some heat resistant paint on some of the
scratched header primaries.  Some Listers recommended wrapping the headers
in bubble wrap while putting the headers on.  My headers would not have fit
if they were another 1/8 inch wider.

Also, a friend to hold motor mounts and lift engine up and down is a
necessity.