Re: Hard Top Trim

To: "Bob, Jerry (LBOB)" <LBOB@chevron.com>
Subject: Re: Hard Top Trim
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 12:34:24 -0800
"Bob, Jerry (LBOB)" wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Do you have tips on how to best install the hardtop to windshield frame
> seal.  I am replacing all the rubber on my hardtop and am having a tough
> time getting the seal into the channel on the hardtop.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jerry

Jerry,

This was kind of tough.  First, I would use new rubber, as you need the
flexibility.  Second, I would get two plastic 1 1/2 inch "putty" spatulas.
Third,
I would get a friend to help.

Putting the hard top on a pad, upside down, saves a lot of agony.   You need to
push the rubber lip under one clip lip, hold it there with the spatula (which
may
help inserting it to begin with)  You want to slide it under the lip, not tear
the
rubber.  Then, while holding the rubber in place, put the other spatula in the
groove between the lip and the seal and compress it towards the opposite lip,
while trying to get the rubber lip over the edge of the other clip side and
allowing it wo slip in.  I haven't mentioned front or rear preference, as it
depends on your skills and access.  It doesn't matter, if your consistent.

Just keep working down along the clip, in a similar fashion.  Don't stretch the
seal as you go, and try to slide it a little to assure there is no tension being
built up.  You may want to pull a little (holding the already installed section
down, to get it a little thinner, but must remove the stretch before going on.

There is a sheet metal screw on each end to keep it in place.  If you have good
rubber (Sunbeam Specialties and Classic Sunbeam carry good new parts) you should
never have to use cement on any rubber ( a sure sign of amateur work or bad
rubber).

Make sure your channel clips aren't bent or distorted before you start.

On the rear rubber seal, there are two designs.  The early design uses a 3 piece
flat rubber surface, with a similar shape on the top for similar clips.  All
rubber seal clips on doors and tops are like this.  The later design used a
softer
foam seal in one piece.  The retaining strips are the same, with the exception
of
a short piece in the back corners to allow the rubber to be held as it turns the
top's corner. The Corner pieces are much smaller on the inside, and can be made
by
cutting the original shape to clear the wrap-around seal rubber.  A triangular
bit
of metal, and a few sheet metal screws hold it to the top.  This is how the
later
tops were built.

I believe this is a much better design, seals better, and has a lesser tendency
rub your paint.  It allows the top to move, while the soft rubber accepts
deformation and doesn't move on the paint surface.

Pressure, and heat, however, can leave a line.  I've designed a static cling
clear
plastic protector for the top.  My original was one piece, but it took too
large a
piece of expensive film.  My next project is to make it in three pieces,
left/right and center.  It is applied to a clean waxed surface with a little
water
on the surface.  A soft shower squeege is used to remove the water and the
bubbles
and it sticks all winter (and even summer with the top off) yet peals off
easily.
Mine has a mark from the top.  A straight line and a little rubbing from those
corner tips. But the film peels off easily, with no paint damage.

Thinking of marketing them, but most graphics places don't stock the clear heavy
duty static film (I didn't want any adhesive against my paint, like the
Corvette.)  This plastic is what they use for "meat balls" racing numbers, but
these manufacturer's don't seem interested in small specialty jobs.  I could
make
up a paper/back sheet, with the correct shape drawn on, and let the user cut it
out with a scissors, like I did.  Easier for me, but don't know how many are
interested to meet the minimum order requirements for the material.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/