Re: Hard Top Trim

To: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>,
Subject: Re: Hard Top Trim
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 19:50:30 -0800
Tom,

This is down to the very detail what I did to tie the two main trim pieces
together on my hardtop. Well, actually, I carefully drilled the four holes
"in situ" (the trim already installed) using a small electric hand drill.
The stainless wire I used was, I believe, from a roll of stainless MIG
welding wire - about 10-15 mil I would guess.

TTFN,

Bob

At 06:48 PM 11/27/99 -0800, Tom Hall wrote:

>I've found it very handy to drill a pair of holes on the lower step of the
>top and bottom of the side trim pieces before installation.  When in place,
>you can lace a thin strand of stainless wire through the opposing holes to
>tie and pull the two halves together. The trick is to twist the wire ends
>together and bend the resulting curl flat against the rubber. The center
>clip is then only required to cover this tie.  It requires a lot of
>"fitting" with long nose pliers to get the center pieces to lay flat, but
>they are no longer being pushed out by the ends of the larger side trim
>pieces.
>
>Tom

Robert L. Palmer
UCSD, Dept. of AMES