Re: No Tiger content - watch your speed

To: TigerCoupe@aol.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: No Tiger content - watch your speed
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 20:39:27 -0800
Dick, Listers,

I searched a little more and found more info on the HARM missile and the
accidental downing of, as it turns out, two helicopters with a total of 26
people aboard.

On April 14, 1994, tragedy hit in a friendly-fire incident that left 26
families in mourning. Two U.S. F-15s shot down two American helicopters,
mistaking them for enemy planes flying in a "nofly" zone over Iraq. The
helicopters were carrying military personnel and civilians; all 26 on board
were killed.

I presume the Air Force F-15s used some type of air-to-air missiles such as
Sidewinders or the newer AMRAAMs.

Also, regarding the deployment of HARM missiles:

F-18s and EA6B's.
The radar-seeking missile is the primary defense against fixed
surface-to-air missile sites.
HARM stands for High Speed Anti-Radiation Missile. As soon as a hostile
radar locks on or "paints" a U.S. plane, a HARM missile is fired in
response. The missile follows the radar signal to its source, destroying
the radar.
This practice has effectively kept Iraq from even turning on their
anti-aircraft radars, much less firing any surface-to-air missiles.
ANYTHING NEW? Missiles used to be carried by F-4G Wild Weasels. Now the
F-16CJ is the primary plane carrying the HARM missile.

Sounds from the above description like the "response" is both automatic and
swift Dick.

Bob
Robert L. Palmer
UCSD, Dept. of AMES