RE: Chris Vaught's Tiger

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Chris Vaught's Tiger
From: Theo Smit <TSMIT@isotel.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 08:53:48 -0700
I think we in the dry areas of north america (that includes Calgary and
Edmonton, if you don't drive your Tiger in the salt/sand slush in winter)
are lucky, and that has resulted in an attitude that if it's got a rusted
panel or two, we're better off to go find a different car, and that results
in a lot of potential restoration projects being ignored until it's way too
late. I saw Kirt Jenssen's Tiger bodyshell after painting, and the sheet
metal repair work that went into it is amazing both for the amount of stuff
that had to get replaced, and for the quality of work done. Is it worth
doing? That's up to the individual Tiger owner. It's fortunate most of us
don't get a full appreciation for how much work it is until we're too far in
to back out. Still, even a huge sheetmetal repair job would not cost as much
as replacing all the little trim bits and hunting down replacement NOS old
parts, which is always required on a full restoration anyway.
To Chris and Derek and the other people working on huge Tiger restoration
projects 'way out there: Keep it up! The only reason there are Tigers in
your neck of the woods is because you're doing it. If you guys want pictures
of mechanical details or interior stuff let me know. I can take digital pics
and email them.

Theo
tsmit@home.com
B382002705