Tiger Transport, The Sequel

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Tiger Transport, The Sequel
From: bruce childers <bruce_childers@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 05:57:54 -0800 (PST)
I asked a couple days ago about transporting a Tiger home via a
commercial shipper.  I got over a dozen replies!  This list is a
great resource, for sure.

All replies were fairly positive about both Passport Transport
and Horseless Carriage.  There was one mixed review about HC and
poor communication on their part.  From talking with Passport and
HC, I'd say HC has been much more communicative and more interested
in answering my questions.  I've twice talked to some terribly bored
folks at Passport, although they've been very polite and friendly.
I prefer complete sentence answers rather than just a "yes" or "no".
It felt like a Congressional hearing--you've gotta ask the right &
precise question to get an answer!

A few people suggested I negotiate with the carrier.  On this note,
HC said they'd match Passport's price once I have a firm shipping
date.  Also, both companies may do some sort of "standby" shipping
for a lower rate.  For me, I need to have a firm schedule, so I'll
spend a bit extra and get firm dates.

Both HC & Passport have identical policies, except Passport said I
could reserve a spot on the top rack of the truck (no leaks from
cars above).  HC lets you request a position in the truck, but
it's up to the driver and the load he is carrying.  For this reason,
I likely use Passport.  Really, they seem identical except for this
minor advantage.  We'll see if Passport honors my request for the
top.
Also, it's worth mentioning that I've heard several horror stories
from other sources about other carriers.  Passport & HC are probably
the most reputable & reliable from what I've been told.

BTW, winter is a good time to use a commercial shipper.  Their rates
are competitive and they have very short lead times (5-10 days).

Finally, some folks said I should just drive it home.  I'd love to
do this if I were moving the car to the West!  The stretch of I-70
betw. Denver and Pittsburgh is my least favorite....I should've
taken the job in sunny Albuquerque or foggy SF instead of cold &
salty Pittsburgh!  What *was* I thinking????  Oh yea, you shouldn't
pick your new home based on British car weather....or so said my SO.

I'll post with my experience once I complete the sale (hopefully!)
and get the car home.

Cheers,

Bruce