RE: Real

To: "'tigers@autox.team.net'" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Real
From: Theo Smit <TSMIT@isotel.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 11:44:04 -0700
As a non-original-rivets Tiger owner, I'll say that there are still lots of
ways to verify the authenticity of the bodyshell besides the rivets. There
are two things to worry about if it doesn't have original rivets: 1. The
bodyshell is a Tiger but not the one that matches the VIN tag; or (2) the
bodyshell is a converted Alpine.

The knowledgeable Tiger owner can probably spot a converted Alpine unless
it's extremely carefully done. If the bodyshell is a different Tiger than
what's represented by the VIN, then there will possibly be subtle clues,
such as various drill holes etc. not being in the right place, or welded-on
details being missing, and so on, but it will still be a Tiger.

Of course, both are illegal from a technical standpoint (as is removing or
defacing the VIN plate in the first place).

Still the best place to start, if you have access to the car, is to get:
The VIN number (B947xxxxx, B948xxxxx, B38200xxxx, or B382100xxx), and other
numbers on the VIN plate
The JAL number (screwed onto the cowl inboard of the VIN plate)
The transmission, engine, and diff ID numbers
Lock cylinder numbers
Some idea of the original color of the shell (look under the dash - this
doesn't help if the car was stripped & dipped).

Then take all this information to the tiger registry (Norm Miller at the
Rootes Group Depot, I don't have his email address off the top of my head,
search for it on the web), and he can tell you if all those pieces of ID
match up with factory records. If everything matches, that proves all those
parts came off of the same Tiger. If the bodyshell color was originally
correct, and the bodyshell is the right series, then you're on reasonably
safe ground, but get someone knowledgeable to look at the car even so.

Regards,
Theo