Re: African Tiger back - few questions

To: derekw@zamnet.zm, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: African Tiger back - few questions
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 13:42:01 EST
In a message dated 01/16/2000 9:02:50 AM Pacific Standard Time,
derekw@zamnet.zm writes:

<< 1)I have this 302 and need to order parts (e-bay, Summit...?) Is the
 Edelbrock Performer/Holley 600 a good value, simple set up? What about the
 Performer RPM and the Holley 650?

 2)Which air cleaner (I will get the standard hood/bonnet so clearance
 worries me.)

 3)Is there some special front pulley I need to order for the 302 into a
tiger?

 4)Distributor suggestions.

 5) Are there any low cost headers that will fit (I have MIG and TIG welders
 so can make changes.)  >>

1. Ordering parts through Summit is painless and the prices are good. A
Performer will fit under a stock hood, Performer RPM should, but will be a
tight fit from what I hear. The 600 Holley vacumn secondary carb makes sense
in this application, may be too big. I ran a 600 initially on my 302/roller
cam motor, didn't like the throttle response down low and swapped to a 465
Holley which works well. I wouldn't bother with a 650 DP, unless you plan on
running heads with big ports and a nasty cam, in which case you'll have no
low end anyhow.
2. The easiest air cleaner to run with a stock hood, which is readily
available, is probably one of the Edelbrock triangular, low profile ones.
3. Depending on year of manufacture, you may run into dampener/flywheel
imbalance problems. Early, pre-78 (??) 302s have the same imbalance specs as
the 260/289, later engines have a unique imbalance spec. The solution for
later motors is buying an early model bolt pattern/late model imbalance
dampener (TCI, Ford Motorsports) and a late model billet flywheel (Ford
Motorsports).
4. The easiest distributor set up is to run a non-computer Duraspark out of
any number of Ford products. I run an old dual point hipo distributor, with a
different drive gear to live with the drive gear on the roller cam.
5. You can get headers from CAT. They may require some mods to fit correctly,
never know, no two Tigers seem to be the same! I bought my headers from Rick
@Sumbeam Specialities and they fit with no mods, but I don't know if he has
any around these days.
Good luck
Mike