Re: Performance Tuning the Sunbeam Tiger

To: Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Performance Tuning the Sunbeam Tiger
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 12:48:20 EST
In a message dated 1/19/00 7:57:25 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com writes:

<< I managed to get a book off of ebay (sort of) around x-mas that I finally
 got to review. It is called "Performance Tuning the Sunbeam Tiger"  by Floyd
 Clymer. Just curious if anyone else has had a chance to review it? I read it
 and there is some decent info in there and while dated and general in scope
 it is a good resource for parts interchangeability between the 289 and the
 260. Technology has rendered this book rather outdated but it is still very
 interesting given the specifics of the subject matter.  It prioritizes what
 to change first as any hot-rodder wants to put money where it provides the
 most bang for the buck. Just curious if anyone else has this book?

Tim-
That book is the famous/infamous Gordon Chittenden tuning "bible". Chittenden
ran a 12. 9 sec. Tiger in NHRA, holding the class (O/S?) record for a few
years. Much of the information is still valid, but there are some glaring
errors, pariticularly in reference to the 260/289 commonality... I think he
makes a reference to freeze plug count being "key" in determining whether or
not a 260 can "safely" be taken out to 289, which is just wrong.
Other than that, it is a cool, 1960's read!
Mike