Easy Fuse Trick?

To: alpines@autox.team.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Easy Fuse Trick?
From: "Jay Laifman" <Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 08:12:15 -0800
There have always been comments about how poorly fused our cars are.  This
weekend I was studying the wiring diagram to double check that I hooked
everything back up right.  I noticed that the following systems are not
fused at all: headlights, headlight switch, turnsignal switch and
turnsignals, ignition switch, and much of the stuff off of the ignition
switch.  But, at the same time, I saw that by switching ONE wire, all of
that goes through a fuse.

If you look at the fuse box, one of the fuses has three brown wires on it.
The other end has nothing in most cars, and on the GTs, it has one wire for
the door lights.  Those three brown wires are (1) power from the battery
(after linking on the starter solenoid), (2) power to the ignition switch,
and (3) power to the light switch.

I figured if you took off the power from the battery wire and flipped it
over to the OTHER SIDE of the fuse, BINGO, you've just fused all those
other systems!  Of course, on the GT's, you'd probably want to flip the
door switch wire back over to the other side to keep it fused.

Anyone have any ideas why this is not good?  Or why the factory would not
have done it that way in the first place?  Lastly, the factory called for
35A fuses.  Is there any reason that should be any different for these
lighting systems?

P.S.  This is based upon the wiring diagram and actual wiring of a SV.  I
did not look at my Tiger wiring diagram or my other Alpine diagrams, but
can if someone wants.